Have you ever felt bored about winter? Yeah, me too. I mean not always, because there’s certainly a time when I just want to eat hot chocolate pancakes curled up in a ball wearing everything fuzzy and drinking a french vanilla mochaccino. But other days, like today, I just want to throw away the winter towel and get straight to spring and eat all the lemon cakes and all the berry everything and just so many blackberries that my tummy hurts. So how about if we imagine for a second that we are right there in the middle of spring and just make the best lemon cake in the world? yes? Great! So let’s deep dive my friends into how to make lemon cake
Lemon cakes are pretty cool, they are like the elevated version of a vanilla cake. I mean, let’s imagine for a second that your mother in law invites you to a fancy dinner and that you should be bringing dessert. Vanilla cakes are great but would you take one to a party? Probably not, too basic.
But, you could totally take a lemon cake, I mean just look at it, it’s so elegant, and put together, it’s the type of cake that says I have my things in order and I’m a proper being (please read that in your best British accent).
Lemon cakes communicate that you are the real deal, that you know how to bake your fair share of treats and that you just won at life, when in reality they take the same amount of work than tha basic vanilla cake, but no one has to know that right? Let’s let them believe what they want 😉
Also that cheery yellow, that bright taste, that smell, oh my gosh, that smell when you are slicing lemons and squeezing them into the batter and that smell that comes of the oven when yourlemon cakes are baking, guys you could live of that smell alone. Seriously, you could probably hear the happy songs coming out and see the sun shining every time that you make a lemon cake.
So now that we can agree that lemon cakes are just da bomb let’s roll our sleeves and get in the kitchen
How to make lemon cake
First, keep in mind that this recipe is simple, simple and easy. It doesn0t matter how much of a begginer baker you are, if this is the first time that you are setting a foot in your kitchen or if you are a seasoned cook with a passion for creating treats. Lemon cake accepts everyone so fear not.
This recipe is also super fluffy and has the perfect crumb. It goes great by itself or with a little drizzle of icing. No need to add anything else to this because IT’S SO GOOD.
Tips to make the perfect lemon cake at home
- Mix butter and sugar together first. While most of my recipes work perfectly when you thrown everything into a bowl at the same time in this lemony case is better if you mix the butter and the sugar first until it0s light. It0s easier with an electric mixer but you can get a pretty cool result with a spatula too.
- Add lemon juice AND lemon zest: It makes the flavor 2984092384 times better, so use both, for real. To make the juice it’s as easy as squeezing your lemon. To get the zest just use a butter knife to slightly scratch the skin of your lemon (only the yellow part, not the white part. The white part is icky) That zest has all the essential oils of the lemon and makes your cake taste so good. So skip whatever other step, hech don’t wash your dishes afterward if you don’t feel like it but zest that lemon.
That’s pretty much all the “secrets” behind this lemon cake, see? I told you it was easy.
- ½ Cup butter
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 Egg yolks
- ⅛ Cup lemon juice
- 1 Tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tsps baking powder
- 1¼ Cups flour
- ½ Cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a cake pan.
- In a bowl mix the sugar and the butter until fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix for 30 seconds. Add the yolks and continue whipping it up.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest and mix for 30 seconds more.
- Add half of the flour and mix, add the milk and continue mixing.
- Incorporate the rest of the flour and the baking powder and mix for 1 minute.
- Pour the batter in the cake pan and take to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you are looking for more lemon treats be sure to check this out