Want to know what’s the difference between a Breve Vs Latte? In this post we share what they are + how to make a caffe Breve at home!
If you’ve ever been to a coffee shop, you’ve probably seen both breve and latte drinks on the menu.
But what’s the difference between them? In this blog post, we’ll break down the differences between breve and latte drinks, so you can order the perfect one next time you’re at a coffee shop. Stay tuned!
What is a Breve coffee?
A breve is an espresso-based drink that’s made with half-and-half instead of milk.
This gives the drink a richer flavor and a thicker consistency than a latte.
Breves are also usually sweeter than lattes, since the half-and-half has a higher sugar content than milk.
Why it’s called a breve
Fun fact the word breve means short or little in Italian and it’s exactly how this coffee is prepared.
It’s like a short or smaller espresso drink made with half and half.
What is a latte
A latte is an espresso-based drink that’s made with milk.
Lattes are usually lighter in flavor and consistency than breves, since they’re made with milk instead of half-and-half.
Lattes can be flavored with syrups or spices, and they’re often topped with foam.
Sonic coffee drinks: All their caffeinated drinks!
What’s the difference between a Breve Vs Latte
The biggest difference between breves and lattes is the type of milk that’s used.
Breves are made with half-and-half, while lattes are made with milk. This makes breves richer an sweeter than lattes.
Another difference is that breves are typically served without foam, while lattes often have a layer of foam on top.
So, what’s the right drink for you? If you’re looking for a richer, sweeter coffee drink, go for a breve. If you want a lighter drink with less sweetness, order a latte.
So let’s recap the differences
- Espresso and half and half
- Topped with foam
- Espresso and frothed milk
- Just a little bit of foam
From a flavor standpoint the latte feels sweeter and lighter since it has a higher milk content.
The breve on the other hand has a more strong coffee flavor and also some caramelized notes form the sugars in the half and half caramelize with the foaming process.
How to make a Breve at home
So you want to make a breve at home! This is a great decision, trust me when i say you are going to completely love this creamy and indulgent coffee concoction.
It’s caffeinated and easy to make and gives it’s honestly one of the bets pick me ups for an afternoon.
Ingredients you need to make a breve
- Espresso: As any good coffee recipe the star in the espresso you pick. I like to make it fresh on a espresso machine. You can also make it with cold brew (it’s really good too!) or with some french press coffee.
- Half and half: Any half and half will work. I like to go with a plain one when I want something more traditional or with a flavored one when I’m exploring other flavors. Using a pumpkin spice half and half makes a great PSL inspired breve, for example.
Breve Coffee Recipe
- 4 shots espresso
- 3/4 Cup half and half chilled
- Pour the half and half into a small pitcher. Using the steam wand from your espresso machine froth the half and half until creamy and airy.
- f you don't have a espresso steam wand heat the half and half and use a frother to froth the cream.
- Brew the espresso and pour the half and half over the coffee.
Frequently asked questions about a breve and a latte
Is breve better than latte?
They are both different! The breve it’s creamier and rich than the latte while the latte it’s lighter. It depends on what you like and what you are craving.
What is a breve at Starbucks?
At Starbucks the definition of a Breve is slightly different, but not by much. When you order a espresso or any coffee drink with half and half instead of milk the barista will mark your coffee with a B for Breve on the side.