Lemon Pancakes – Easy recipe you’ll want to have everyday 🍋
Looking for some delicious lemon pancakes? Then you are in the right place! These lemon pancakes are incredibly fluffy and oh so delicious. Best of all? The recipe is really easy and foolproof!
I love pancakes like seriously I have a committed relationship with them. and let’s be all honest here for a second there’s nothing like eating a fluffy, full of butter and syrup and deliciousness pancakes in the morning, or as lunch or as dinner (being an adult is pretty cool sometimes) And while I love my chocolate pancakes, and my oreo pancakes some days call for the lighter version, the easy version, the easy lemon pancake recipe version.
You got the point.
And this, guys, this is just what perfection tastes like.
What you need to make lemon pancakes
Pantry staples! What I love the most about this recipe is how it’s made with things you probably already have on hand. There’s no need to pay a quick trip to the grocery store to get everything you need.
- Melted butter or oil: I prefer melted butter because I love the buttery flavor but oil works great too. It’s what makes the pancakes moist.
- Milk: The secret for rich pancakes? using milk when making them! I prefer to use whole milk (again, for richness) but these lemon pancakes come out great with pretty much any milk you prefer. They even work with soy milk and oat milk if you are looking for some plant based alternatives.
- Eggs: They make the pancakes light and fluffy (and also help in making them filling!).
- Sugar: These pancakes are slightly sweet and caramelized in the edges.
- Flour: Go with all purpose flour so you can control the baking powder.
- Baking powder: It’s the leavening agent. Baking powder helps the pancakes rise.
- Lemon juice: Well, these are lemon pancakes after all. The lemon juice gives it a lemon flavor that’s unmatched.
- Lemon zest: Amp up the zestines! Lemon zest not only gives it a lemon flavor but also helps with the aroma. Trust me when I say your home will smell like lemon while you are cooking these pancakes!
Seriously, If sunshine rays and rainbows had a love child it will pretty much taste like these lemon pancakes.
That and the fact that they are so fluffy they are like little pillows. and that they mingle so well with just a little bit of butter. I mean that can’t get any better.
Except that yes it can totally get better! It can totally take only 10 minutes to make and be the easiest recipe on earth. Excuse me while I go to the kitchen to make a huge batch for myself.
JUST LOOK AT THAT FLUFFINESS!!! Gosh, I just can’t even. it’s so fluffy my eyes hurt.
While I love to have them on a weekend basis they are the perfect especial brunch recipe too. Significant other birthday? Make him/her a huge stack of pancakes and earn the award of best loving partner ever. Your mom’s birthday? Make a huge batch of lemon pancakes. Easter? You know the drill. But really, I hope you are not one of that people that need a special occasion to make pancakes.
How to make lemon pancakes from scratch [Step by Step!]
I call this the ultimate easy lemon pancake recipe because seriously it’s easy! They are small kitchen approved and don’t use complicated or difficult to find utensils. Actually, you only need a bowl (and hey you could use a glass or a Tupperware, not judging here!), some sort of spoon and a pan.
- Start by mixing the melted butter or oil with the sugar. Then just add the eggs and milk and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Then it’s time to add the flour and the baking powder. Mix until the ingredients are just barely combined. The texture of your pancakes will come out better (aka: fluffier and softer) if you don’t over-mix the batter.
- Finally add the lemon juice and lemon zest and give it a quick stir. I prefer to add them at the end that way we are not activating the baking powder too much before cooking.
- After you have your pancake batter done it’s time to cook them! Lightly grease a pan or a griddle and scoop out around 1/4 cup of batter over the hot griddle. Cook for around 2 minutes or until small bubbles begin to form on top.
- Flip the pancakes and cook for 1 more minute or until golden brown.
How to store pancakes: Can you make pancakes in advance?
Short answer: Yes! You can make pancakes in advance.
To store them you can pick the refrigerator or the freezer. If you are going with the refrigerator route you can make them up to 1 day in advance. Longer and they turn hard.
You can also freeze them. I actually have a whole post about how to freeze pancakes and waffles
Pancakes are incredibly freezer friendly so I highly advise to make a large batch and freeze some for later.
The best way to reheat them is to pop them real quick in the microwave or in the oven. Some people prefer to use a toaster oven too and that works fine as well.
I really recommend using the lemon zest, it really amps up the lemon flavor in this super easy lemon pancake recipe (like when we made the lemon cake). Also, and here is my little secret for perfect pancakes every day: Cook them in a small pan (like the one you would use to make fried eggs) The result is pancakes with the same size that look straight out of a pancake commercial.
Take it to the next level topping them with a small square of butter and you my friend, you won at life.
Keep scrolling for the easy lemon pancake recipe
This easy lemon pancake recipe is everything you’ll want to eat Recipe Type: BreakfastAuthor: AnaPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Serves: 8 lemon pancakesThese lemon pancakes are the perfect breakfast! BEST Lemon Pancake Recipe EVER!!! Ingredients
- 2 tablespoon oil or melted butter
- 1 Cup milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 1/3 Cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 Cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- In a bowl mix the oil with the sugar. Add the eggs and the milk and continue mixing.
- Slowly incorporate the flour and baking powder and mix until there are no lumps left and the batter is shiny.
- Pour the lemon juice and the lemon zest and mix for 1 more minute.
- Lightly grease a pan and place it over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot add 1/4 cup of batter and cook until there are small bubbles on top.
- Flip and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from the heat.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
- Serve while hot with butter. Enjoy!
FAQs about lemon pancakes
Can you add lemon juice to pancakes?
Yes! In this recipe is kind of obvious because we are making lemon pancakes, therefore we need lemon juice.
However even if you aren’t making lemon pancakes, all pancakes benefit for a tablespoon of lemon juice mixing into the batter for each cup of milk. The combo of lemon juice + milk + baking powder creates the perfect air bubbles that expand when cooking resulting is super fluffy pancakes.
How to make healthy lemon pancakes?
These pancakes fall more on the treat side however it’s very easy to make them healthier. Swap the milk for any plant based milk of your choice. You can also use melted ghee or coconut oil instead of butter.
For the sugar feel free to use 1/4 cup sweetener of choice (like monkfruit sweetener). As for the flour I have tried it with 1/2 part all purpose flour and 1/2 part of oat flour and the end result is incredibly good too.
Can you make thin lemon pancakes?
Yes! If you want your pancakes to be thinner add between 2 to 4 tablespoon more of milk. The batter will be runnier and will result in thinner lemon pancakes.
Want to explore more Pancakes recipes? Then make sure to check these out 🥞