Brisket is one of the easiest cuts of meat to cook with and is perfect for summer BBQing. It’s also a very forgiving type of cut requiring low heat cooking time to tenderize it. Knowing how much brisket per person can help calculate how much you’ll need for an event.
You’re planning a barbecue for your friends and family, and you want to make sure that there’s enough meat for everyone.
But how many pounds of raw brisket do you need? It can be tough to figure out, especially if it’s your first time hosting a barbecue or a dinner party. That’s why we’re here to help!
- What is brisket, and where does it come from?
- What to consider when calculating how much brisket per person you need
- How much brisket you should buy for your party or event?
- Tips for cooking and serving it
- What to serve with brisket
- How to store your leftover
- Leftover ideas for your delicious brisket feast!
- Dressing ideas
- FAQs about How much brisket per person
What is brisket, and where does it come from?
This is a cut of beef that comes from the chest of a cow. Also, it is a tough and fatty cut of meat, ideal for slow cooking methods like braising or smoking.
Brisket has long been a favorite of BBQ enthusiasts, as the low and slow cooking process allows the fat to render out, resulting in tender, juicy meat.
The popularity of brisket has led to it being available year-round at any grocery store or supermarket.
However, for the best flavor, it is best to purchase it during the spring or summer months, when cows are typically pasture-fed and produce leaner meat.
Also, you can read about Pasture Raised Vs Grass Fed here.
What to consider when calculating how much brisket per person you need
There are a few things to consider:
First, brisket is a relatively tough cut of meat, so it benefits from long cooking times.
You’ll need about 1/2 pound of raw brisket per person if you plan to serve it as the main dish.
Suppose you’re serving other dishes as well.
If you’re serving heavy and filling sides, like mac and cheese or potato salad, you won’t need as much brisket as you would if you’re serving lighter sides, like a green salad. In that case, you can buy less and supplement it with other protein sources.
Additionally, remember that it shrinks during cooking, so you’ll need to account for that when making your calculations.
Also, consider how many guests. If you’re inviting a large group, you’ll need more meat than if you’re only inviting a few.
That’s just common sense.
But it’s also important to think about the appetites of your guests in order to figure out the serving size.
If you have a lot of big eaters coming, you’re going to need more brisket than if you have most people who are moderate eaters.
The time of day is also important. If you have your barbecue in the middle of the day, your guests will be hungrier than if you have it in the evening. That’s just human nature!
With these factors in mind, you should be able to estimate how much brisket to buy for your party or event.
How much brisket you should buy for your party or event?
This is a question that many home cooks and barbecue enthusiasts ask.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question.
As we said before, there are several things to keep in mind, but a good rule of thumb is to calculate 1/2 pound per person.
This may seem like a lot, but remember that brisket has much fat and shrinks during cooking.
It comes in various sizes, from small (5-7 pounds) to large (12-15 pounds).
If you are feeding a lot of people, serving large portions or want leftovers, you will need to purchase a larger brisket.
Finally, think about your cooking method. If you plan on smoking it, you will need to allow for more shrinkage than cooking it in the oven.
Once you have considered all of these factors, you should have a good idea of how much to purchase for your needs based on your guest list.
If you are still unsure, ask your butcher for advice.
He will be able to help you select the right amount for your next barbecue.
Also, if you have many big eaters coming, you may want to err on the side of more meat. And if you have leftovers, they’ll make fantastic sandwiches the next day!
You can read about How Much Taco Meat per person here.
Tips for cooking and serving it
When it comes to serving brisket, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
First of all, it is a tough cut of meat, so it needs to be cooked properly to be tender and juicy.
Secondly, because brisket is so tough, it needs to be sliced thinly to be easily eaten.
Here are a few tips on how to cook and serve it:
1. Cook the brisket low and slow. It needs to be cooked slowly to break down the tough muscle fibers and make it tender meat.
The best way to do this is by cooking it in a slow cooker or the oven at a low temperature.
2. Season the brisket well. Because it is such a tough cut of meat, it benefits from being well-seasoned.
Be sure to rub the brisket with your favorite seasonings before cooking it.
3. Slice the brisket thinly. As mentioned before, it needs to be sliced thinly to be eaten easily.
The best way to do this is by using a very sharp knife to slice it.
4. Serve it with BBQ sauce. Brisket is typically served with BBQ sauce, which helps to tenderize the meat and add flavor.
Be sure to have plenty of BBQ sauce on hand when serving brisket.
5. Let the brisket rest before slicing. After cooking, it’s important to let it rest for at least 20 minutes before slicing into it.
This will help to ensure that the meat is tender and juicy.
By following these tips, you can be sure that you will cook the brisket to perfection and that it will be delicious!
Here you can read How to Cook Store Bought Smoked Turkey Legs
What to serve with brisket
Many things go well with brisket.
Some of the most popular sides include mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, and green beans.
You could also serve a salad or bread on the side.
You could add more protein like chicken or fish for a complete meal.
Whatever you choose to serve with your brisket, make sure that it is something that you enjoy.
How to store your leftover
If you have any leftover, it’s important to store it properly so that it doesn’t go bad. Here are some tips on how to store leftover brisket:
1. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
2. Store the wrapped brisket in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
3. To freeze it, wrap it in aluminum foil or plastic wrap, then place it in a freezer-safe bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
4. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight when you’re ready to eat the brisket. Then, reheat it at 325 degrees fahrenheit in the oven until heated through.
Leftover ideas for your delicious brisket feast!
You’re in for a treat if you’re lucky enough to have leftover brisket! Brisket is a delicious and versatile meat that you can use in various recipes.
Here are a few ideas for recipes that you can make with your nice leftovers:
1. Brisket tacos. Tacos are always a favorite, and they’re even better when made with brisket! Shred the brisket and mix it with your favorite taco toppings.
2. Brisket chili. Chili is always a hit, and it’s even better when made with brisket! Add the leftover brisket to your favorite chili recipe.
3. Brisket paste. Pasta is always a good idea, and it’s even better when made with brisket! Add the shredded brisket to your favorite pasta dish.
4. Make brisket sandwiches, a great choice. Slice up some leftover briskets and pile them high on a toasted bun. Add your favorite condiments and enjoy!
5. Use it in a stew. Cut the brisket into chunks and add it to your favorite stew recipe. It will add delicious flavor and heartiness.
6. Make a pot pie. Cut the brisket into small pieces and add it to a pot pie filling. Also, top with a flaky crust and bake.
7. Freeze it for later. Wrap the leftover tightly in plastic wrap or freezer bags and store it in the freezer. It will be there when you’re craving a taste of your delicious brisket feast!
There are many ways to dress up a brisket, and the options are endless.
Here are a few of our favorite dressing recipes to add flavor and excitement to your feast.
Be sure to try them all!
1. Combine equal parts of your favorite BBQ sauce and ranch dressing.
2. Make a sweet and tangy glaze by mixing apricot preserves, Dijon mustard, and balsamic vinegar.
3. Mix hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and rice vinegar for an Asian-inspired twist.
4. For a Tex-Mex flavor, mix salsa, sour cream, and chili powder.
5. Just use your favorite bottled BBQ sauce to keep it simple.
FAQs about How much brisket per person
It depends on how much meat you want each person to have and if you have plenty of side dishes. A general rule of thumb is half a pound of meat per person, but some people may want more or less.
There are many ways to cook it, but the most important thing is to cook it slowly and at a low temperature. This will ensure that is tender and juicy.
You can store leftover brisket in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To freeze it, wrap it in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer-safe bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
You can make many recipes with leftover brisket, including tacos, chili, pasta dishes, sandwiches, and stews. Be sure to try them all!
Here you can read about Leftover and food safety.