So, you went bananas in the farmers market and came home with a larger than life bunch of carrots while wondering what you can do with them before they go bad. Keep reading how to freeze carrots easily and quickly!
We know that fresh carrots last a long time in the fridge. But if you need space in your fridge or got excited about buying some more carrots than necessary, don’t worry!
You can freeze them effortlessly and thus take advantage of them for your following recipes.
Do carrots freeze well?
If you’ve ever wondered if carrots freeze well, the answer is Yes!
So do not be afraid to buy some more carrots in the supermarket when they are beautiful or have a reasonable price because you can freeze them.
Freezing carrots also reduces food waste. So if you think you have a few more carrots than you can consume in a short time, freeze them!
Which carrots to freeze
It’s better to choose fresh carrots to freeze. Keep in mind that the freezer is a wonderful invention, but it’s not magical!
Don’t wait until your carrots are old, wrinkled, and ugly to freeze them. Instead, do it when they are fresh, and you will enjoy an excellent frozen product.
How long can frozen carrots last?
Blanched carrots freezed in a plastic bag in a regular freezer that we have at home can last up to 1 year.
Remember to write the date you are storing the carrots in the freezer on the bag. In this way, you won’t have to guess how long ago you saved them!
How you can use frozen carrots
You can use frozen carrots in multiple hot dishes, such as stews, soups, sauces, or combined with legumes, for example.
You can also use them in smoothies, cookies, or cakes, like this carrot cake recipe. It is delicious and effortless to prepare!
You can prepare frozen carrots in the oven, microwave, or air-fryer. And best of all, you don’t need to defrost them!
What equipment you need
The wonderful thing about freezing carrots is that you don’t need fancy equipment because most of us already have it in our kitchens.
You will need a large pot to boil water, a knife, a suitable size container where you can place plenty of ice water.
Also, you will need a colander, parchment paper, a baking pan, and plastic bags to pack the carrots and take them to the freezer.
How to freeze carrots
To freeze the carrots, the first thing you will have to do is:
- Wash them and cut off the tops and ends.
- Then peel, clean, and cut them into pieces of about 1 inch.
- In a large pot with boiling water, add the carrots and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Have a large container ready with enough ice water.
- Once the blanching time is up, strain the carrots to cool them in ice water immediately.
- You should leave them in the ice water for another 2 minutes. After that time, drain them and let them dry well.
The last step: carrots to the freezer!
- On a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, spread the carrots without stacking them, and put them in the refrigerator for about three hours.
- After that time, you can transfer them to the plastic bags, guaranteeing that they will not stick to each other.
Remember to write down the date you are saving them.
If you have equipment for vacuum packing food, you can use that too.
As you see, it is a very easy procedure.
So the next time you go to the supermarket, don’t be afraid to bring some delicious extra carrots. You already know that you will not have waste!