Rotisserie chicken is a great low carb diet staple. It’s easy to make and can be used in many dishes like sandwiches, salads, or even eaten on its own! But is rotisserie chicken keto? Find out below.
When you’re following a keto meal plan, it can sometimes feel like your options are limited. If you’re tired of eating the same old foods day after day then rotisserie chicken might just be the answer! Read more about how this fits into your ketogenic meals below.
What is a rotisserie chicken
A rotisserie chicken is a chicken that has been cooked in a rotisserie. basically the whole chicken is cooked on direct heat and results in a juicy chicken meat and a crispy, slightly charred skin.
Is rotisserie chicken keto?
The answer is: Yes! Traditional rotisserie chicken should be low carb.
However it’s a good practice to ask your local supermarket or store for the ingredient list of the rubs the use.
Most place use a spice rub with dried herbs and liquid seasonings only. But other places also add brown sugar and bad oils to the mix so it’s better to double check with your local place.
Nutritional information of rotisserie chicken
A 3 oz serving of rotisserie chicken has:
Grams of carbs: 0
Grams of protein: 18
Grams of fat: 12 grams for the chicken thighs and 7 grams for the chicken breasts
If you are following a keto diet I highly advise you pick the dark meat (like thighs) instead of the white meat (the breast) to make sure you are bumping up your fat intake.
If possible pick an organic chicken, that way you are making sure you get a good quality product with healthy fats.
How many cups of meat per rotisserie chicken
A rotisserie chicken is a great meal prep solution. So if you are looking to cook some low carb recipes using it you are probably wondering how many cups of meat you can get from each chicken.
The answer is you can get around 4 cups shredded chicken your every rotisserie chicken you get.
What to do with a rotisserie chicken
I honestly love to purchase a large rotisserie chicken at my local grocery store. It’s a great way to meal prep quick and delicious keto meals.
A whole rotisserie chicken will last for around 2 to 3 keto recipes that will satisfy the whole family.
- Make a chicken salad: You can use sour cream or mayo, onion, lemon juice, garlic powder and shredded chicken breasts.
- Make a cobb salad with chicken, blue cheese, eggs, bacon and avocados. A cobb salad is a great way to bump up your fat intake in a delicious way.
- Wraps: I love to use the leftover chicken breasts from the rotisserie chicken to make delicious keto wraps. I use a low carb tortilla, bacon, cheese, ranch dressing, and a good amount of cream cheese. The end result is chef’s kiss. It’s a meal that can be stored at room temperature for the morning making it the perfect keto lunch to bring to the office.
- Bone broth: You can make your own chicken bone broth with the bones from the rotisserie chicken.
- Lettuce wraps: Use any leftover rotisserie chicken you have to make some delicious lettuce wraps. They are perfect for quick dinners and you only need a handful of ingredients: Lettuce, bacon bits, cheddar cheese or parmesan cheese, greek yogurt, celery and obviously shredded chicken.
Picking the best rotisserie chicken from the grocery store
If you want to pick the juiciest rotisserie chicken to have on a busy weeknight or power up all the keto dinner recipes you have on mind then you need to pick the very best.
I actually have a couple tips that work every single time and now I’m sharing them with you
- Pick the heaviest chicken: If the chicken is heavy it usually menas it’s still packing all it’s juices which it’s what we want.
- Check for a plump skin: Remember how we want a chicken that’s juicy? Well a plump skin means the juices are still packed inside your chicken. You don’t want to pick one with shriveled skin.
- Make it plain: To make sure it actually has a log g carbohydrate pick the plain chicken and stay away from the BBQ one. Marinades and rubs can have sugar and sodium
The short answer about rotisserie chicken being keto
The answer is yes! Rotisserie chicken can be low carb diet friendly and work on a keto diet, as long as it’s not breaded.
While it’s low on fat you can bump up your fat intake with side dishes that are low carb too.