This matcha ice cream recipe is incredibly easy and so delicious it will blow your mind. Best of all? You don’t need an ice cream maker to make an incredibly creamy and flavorful green tea ice cream.
So I’m pretty late to the matcha train I know but I after years of not trying it (even tho all my friends were raving about it) I finally decided to give it a go. And you probably already know what comes next right? I fell completely in love with it, went matcha crazy for a month, and tried all the matcha recipes my little matcha heart could handle.
My favorite so far is this matcha ice cream. I mean just look and the vibrant green and the creamy look it has! Oh, and you don’t need an ice cream maker to make it thank you very much.
If you are late to the matcha train just like I was and you are wondering
What is matcha?
It’s a green tea. Actually, it’s the fanciest of green teas. Basically, the plant is covered with a cloth before harvesting, then the leaves are handpicked one by one, steamed briefly and then aged in cold storage. It’s a finely ground powder and traditionally consumed in countries in East Asia.
With traditional tea, you steep the leaf and drink the water. With matcha? Not so much. See, they ground the leaves and you mix them with whatever you want and drink that.
What are some of the health benefits of matcha green tea?
The cool factor? You get a ton more of antioxidants with the way matcha tea is prepared.
- Super high in antioxidants
- Helps boost mental acuity
- Can be an aid for weight loss
What does matcha taste like?
A good quality matcha should have some delicate herb notes and taste a little grassy but in a subtle way. It should also be slightly sweet and nutty. Macha shouldn’t taste bitter or like dirt.
How can I cook with matcha? How can I use matcha?
Easy. Just mix it with anything and everything. I actually believe this is the reason why it became so popular. Because you can actually combine it with pretty much anything under the sun. Add it to water and have a tea. Mix it with milk and make yourself a latte Add a teaspoon to pancake batter or a little bit to your cake mix. Or you know, just make some matcha ice cream with it 😉
So enough about matcha 101 and let’s talk about this matcha ice cream recipe
The process is as simple as it can get. Trust me.
What ingredients you need to make matcha ice cream
Here’s what you need to make the best great tea ice cream in the world. You can’t make a recipe with fewer ingredients and still call it a recipe.
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp matcha tea green tea
How to make matcha ice cream
What I love the most about this recipe is how incredibly easy is to make. There’s no need to use an ice cream maker and the end result is just as delicious as the one you could purchase from a fancy ice cream shop.
- Start with cold condensed milk and heavy cream. I advise you refrigerate both overnight before using them.
- Transfer the cold heavy cream to a bowl and add the matcha green tea, whip up with the help of an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. This way we incorporate some air to the mixture resulting in a light and creamy ice cream.
- Pour the condensed milk and with the help of a spatula fold in until both are incorporated.
- Transfer to a pan and cover with plastic wrap. Take to the freezer for 3 hours and serve.
Tips & Tricks to make the best matcha ice cream ever
- If you love a strong matcha flavor add 1 Tsp more of green tea to the mixture. The color will also be a bolder green.
- When covering the matcha ice cream with plastic wrap make sure the wrap is touching the ice cream surface. The texture will be better!
- You can also make it in an ice cream maker if you prefer. Just pour the mixture into the bowl of your ice cream and follow the maker’s instructions.
Customize your green tea ice cream
Want to customize your green tea ice cream? Just add mix ins! This is what I love so much about ice cream. You can add all the mix ins you wish to. I think that because matcha is so delicate it goes great with other delicate flavors, such as honey or edible flowers or some pistachios (the green-green color combo is beautiful).
What toppings go well with matcha ice cream
Matcha has a delicate flavor that pairs well with subtle flavors that enhance it. It can also pair really well with stronger flavors that make their delicates notes shine.
For example you can top your ice cream with:
- White chocolate syrup
- Dark chocolate
- Lemon (to alance the earthy undertones)
- Orange marmalade
If you are on team fruits and prefer fruit toppings then feel free to play with all citrus fruits. Lemon, orange and grapefruit are all great toppings for your matcha ice cream.
Can you make it vegan?
Yes! This is a question I got a lot on the past couple months and decided to re-test it to make sure it worked. Good news is, making a vegan matcha ice cream is just as easy as making a non vegan one.
To make it vegan you just need to:
- Change the condensed milk for coconut condensed milk. You can use a store-bought version or make it at home. Both options are just as good.
- Change the heavy cream for coconut whipping cream. Chill it the night before using it.
Then just follow the same steps on the recipe. The result of this plant based ice cream is just as creamy and delicate as the one using traditional milk.
And while you get a little of coconut flavor it pairs really well with matcha too.
Matcha Ice Cream Recipe [No Machine!]
- 1 Can sweetened condensed milk cold
- 2 Cups heavy cream cold
- 2 Tablespoons powdered matcha
- In a bowl whip up the cold heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly pour in the condensed milk and continue beating for 2 minutes.
- Add the matcha and whip up until incorporated.
- Pour the mix into a pan and cover with plastic wrap. Take to the freezer for 5 hours.