If you’re looking for a quick and easy side dish, try this copycat Popeye’s coleslaw recipe.
This dish perfectly matches any meal with its spicy raw cabbage, carrots, and onions. The creamy mayonnaise-based dressing adds just the right amount of tangy flavor to the plate. And the best part? It only takes 15 minutes to prepare!
Is Coleslaw Available at Popeye’s?
Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen, popularly known as Popeye’s, is renowned for its signature buttermilk-battered chicken sandwiches. However, a significant part of the appeal of these sandwiches is the delicious coleslaw that comes with them.
Popeye’s coleslaw complements fried chicken perfectly with its creamy texture, tangy flavor, and perfect sweetness.
But this delicious side dish isn’t just reserved for chicken; it goes well with other proteins, like pork tenderloin and ribs, particularly when paired with BBQ sauce.
Fortunately, you can easily recreate this coleslaw at home with this Popeye’s Coleslaw recipe, so you can savor its delectable taste with your preferred meat without hitting the drive-thru. And with only 15 minutes of preparation time and minimal ingredients, it’s worth making at home.
How to make Popeyes coleslaw
Making a copycat Popeye’s coleslaw recipe is easy and quick, requiring only a few essential ingredients that you already have in your pantry.
In just 15 minutes, you’ll be on your way to enjoying this tangy and creamy side dish that tastes great when made ahead of time.
For the best flavor, consider making this coleslaw the day before your event and allowing it to marinate in the refrigerator. This dish is perfect for meal prep since the flavors need time to meld together, and the aroma that fills your kitchen is simply irresistible.
This recipe only uses natural food ingredients, so you can feel good about serving it to your family and guests.
Ingredients for Popeye’s Coleslaw Dressing:
- Mayonnaise: This is the base of the dressing, so be sure to use high-quality mayonnaise or make your own. As a leaner alternative, you can use Greek yogurt.
- Sugar: Organic sugar is preferred, but you can also use honey for a healthier coleslaw dressing.
- Apple cider vinegar: White vinegar can be used if you prefer, but don’t skip this ingredient, as it adds a great tangy flavor to the coleslaw.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Like mayonnaise, choose a good quality olive oil not mixed with other oils.
For the salad:
- Green cabbage: Finely shredded raw green cabbage makes the best coleslaw.
- Carrot: Choose fresh carrots and shred them for the best flavor and texture.
- Yellow onion adds excellent flavor, and you can quickly run it through a food processor after shredding the cabbage and carrot.
Follow these easy steps to make a delicious copycat Popeye’s coleslaw in 15 minutes! Remember that coleslaw tastes even better when given time to marinate, so consider making it the day before serving.
Step 1: Make the dressing. Whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, apple cider vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil in a small mixing bowl. Set the sauce aside.
Step 2: Make the salad. Combine the shredded green cabbage, carrot, and yellow onion in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix well with tongs until the sauce is evenly distributed.
Using a food processor to shred the vegetables makes the process quick and easy. I recommend using a ¼” slicing disk for the cabbage, which produces thin, uniform slices. Shredding the onion using the food processor also saves time.
If you prefer to shred by hand, watch a tutorial on cutting cabbage for coleslaw and brush up on your knife skills before you start.
Step 3: Chill and marinate. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve chilled straight from the refrigerator. Popeye’s coleslaw perfectly accompanies fried chicken, ribs, or any other meat. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If you’re curious about the nutrition facts of this Copycat Popeye’s Coleslaw recipe, each of the eight servings contains:
- 274 calories
- 24g total fat
- 14g total carbs
- 3g fiber
- 2g protein
Remember that these numbers may vary depending on the specific ingredients you use. For example, if you substitute mayonnaise with Greek yogurt, the calorie count may decrease. Consider using a nutrition app such as My Fitness Pal to track your changes accurately.
Popeye’s Coleslaw Copycat Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups green cabbage finely shredded
- ½ cup carrot shredded
- 1 small yellow onion minced or shredded
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the shredded cabbage, carrot, and onion.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well with a pair of tongs until everything is evenly coated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Frequently asked questions about Popeye’s coleslaw
Popeye’s Coleslaw dressing sets itself apart from other coleslaw recipes by omitting buttermilk or lemon juice. Instead, it boasts a delectable combination of sweet pickle relish, dill pickle relish, and white vinegar for that distinct tang. A moderate amount of sugar and plenty of mayonnaise gives it a creamy texture and a hint of sweetness.
Popeyes coleslaw is finely chopped into small squares, so it doesn’t have the stringy texture of traditional shredded cabbage coleslaw. Additionally, it is moderately wet, making it a perfect topping for their sandwiches.
Leave a Reply