Looking for a delicious cocktail recipe that will wow all your guests? This sweet tart shot recipe is perfect and oh so nostalgic!
As a child, Sweet Tarts were among my favorite candies due to their sweet, tart, and flavorful nature. Now, as an adult, the prospect of recreating this childhood favorite as a cocktail shot brings me just as much joy as it did back then!
First things first: what’s a sweet-tart?
Have you ever wondered what exactly a Sweet Tart is? If you’re in the United States, chances are you’ve seen children sorting through their bags of Sweet Tart candies, separating them by color and savoring their favorites for last. I always saved the red ones, but plenty of people adore the blue. These small, round candies come in various flavors:
- Blue is punch.
- Red is cherry.
- Purple is grape
- Yellow is lemon.
- Green is a green apple.
But who says that Sweet Tarts are just for kids? With the Sweet Tart shot, you can relive the sweet-tart memories of your childhood in a more adult form. This cocktail instantly transports you back to those colorful candies you loved as a kid but with a grown-up twist. If you’re a fan of cocktails and drinks, why not make your own Sweet Tart shots?
This Bahama Mama jello shot is also a delicious alternative
And what is a sweet-tart shot?
Contrary to what you might think, this cocktail doesn’t contain any Sweet Tarts candy in its list of ingredients. The name comes from the fact that you can make it in all the vibrant colors that Sweet Tarts are known for.
Inspired by the beloved candy, the Sweet Tart shot is a tasty drink that both kids and adults can appreciate. Children love Sweet Tarts for their bright hues, and grown-ups can enjoy the same colorful experience with this cocktail.
Luckily, making a Sweet Tart shot is easy and requires only a handful of ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. So, the next time you’re looking for a fun and festive drink to whip up, why not try this recipe?
Ingredients to make a sweet-tart shot
Curious about what’s inside the Sweet Tart shot? As a fan of the red candies myself, I drew inspiration from their bright hue and decided to use the following ingredients to create my version:
Raspberry liqueur: Typically sweet and slightly tart, raspberry liqueur can be easily found at most stores. I love the quality and flavor of Chambord Raspberry liqueur, made with cognac. If you prefer to make your raspberry liqueur at home, you can muddle raspberries with sugar, add vodka, and allow it to rest for 2 to 3 days before straining and storing it.
Southern Comfort: This ingredient is a must for the shot, offering the comfort of a fruity, spice-infused drink with a whiskey base.
Sour mix: A liquid made from sugar, lemon, and lime juices, the sour mix has a tangy, citrusy, and sweet flavor that’s incredibly refreshing. You can even try making your sour mix at home!
Tips to make the best sweet tart shot at home
If you’re looking to create the perfect Sweet Tart shot, here are some tips to help you achieve your desired flavor and color:
- For a blue Sweet Tart shot, try using Blue Curacao liqueur to achieve the same vibrant hue as the blue candies.
- If you’re after a green shot, add sour apple schnapps to your recipe to get that signature Sweet Tart color.
- Mix in some Blue Raspberry Vodka and Lilac Pearl Dust for a purple drink with plenty of drama.
- If you prefer a sweeter drink, add a touch of cranberry juice to the mix.
- To add an extra zing to your Sweet Tart shot, consider using Sloe gin as one of the ingredients.
Following these tips, you can experiment with different flavors and colors to create your perfect Sweet Tart shot. Feel free to try different combinations until you find the one that suits your taste buds!
Customizations and substitutions
- If you’re not a fan of Southern Comfort, you can substitute it with another fruit-flavored liqueur like peach schnapps, blue curaçao, or triple sec.
- For a more tropical twist, you can add a splash of pineapple juice or coconut rum to the mix.
- To give the sweet tart shot a fizzy kick, you can top it off with some soda water or lemon-lime soda.
- If you prefer a less sweet and more tart flavor, you can add more sour mix or a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice.
- If you want to make a non-alcoholic version, you can substitute the Chambord and Southern Comfort with raspberry and apple juice, respectively.
- For a fun and colorful presentation, you can rim the shot glass with sugar or pop rocks in different colors to match the sweet tart candy.
Sweet Tart Shot
- 2 oz Chambord
- 2 oz Southern Comfort
- 3 oz Sour mix
- Add all the ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shave vigorously.
- Divide between two shot glasses and serve immediately.
Frequently asked questions about the sweet-tart shot
Absolutely! You can substitute Southern Comfort with a clear spirit like rum, gin, or tequila, or leave it out altogether and make a mocktail version of the drink.
The strength of a sweet-tart shot cocktail will depend on the amount of alcohol used and the size of the shot glass. Generally, due to the amount of alcohol, it can be considered a strong drink.
You can quickly scale up the recipe for a larger batch of sweet-tart cocktails by multiplying the ingredients by the number of servings you need. For instance, if you need ten servings, use 10 ounces each of Southern Comfort, sour mix, and Chambord.
Absolutely! You can customize the recipe to your liking by adjusting the proportions of each ingredient, adding in additional flavors like orange or pineapple juice, or garnishing with fresh fruits and herbs for added flair.