Truth is, I’m not a HUGE fan of thin mints, actually, I’m not even a fan of the chocolate/mint combo, there I said it.
I can’t understand people raving about chocolate chips and mint ice cream, or buying chocolates filled with mint or buying the famous Girl Scout Cookies.
But when someone sent me a mail asking for a mint chocolate cupcake, I knew I had to get all in (that’s how much I love you guys) so I bought as many minted treats as I could, did some test tastings, baked a whole freezer of cupcakes and came up with this.
The best thin mint cupcakes recipe on the planet.
If you love minty treats, if chocolate is your soul sister or if you know someone who just can’t stop raving about the girl scout cookies then this thin mint cupcake recipe is for you, because it’s incredibly good! Even for a non-thin mint fan like me.
Secrets to make perfect thin mint cupcakes
The secret to getting the most similar flavor to the girl scout cookie is just adding the mint extract to the frosting, so you basically end up with a dark chocolate cupcake and a mint frosting, pair them together and it’s a fresh explosion of flavors.
Another thing we are making to make the flavors really similar to the thin mint cookie is to make the cupcakes with a combination of cocoa powder and melted dark chocolate chunks, in all my baking trials the darker the chocolate we used for the cupcakes the better the combination of both flavors was.
So, for this recipe skip the milk chocolate chips and indulge in some real chocolate with a kick.
Also by mixing chocolate with cocoa powder we get chewier cupcakes wich really makes them more similar to the cookie.
Make a big batch, and share it with friends or you know, sneak in 189247 times to the kitchen to “just grab one more bite of thin mint cupcakes” and eat them before everyone arrives. Whatever.
To make the frosting: Use this vanilla frosting recipe and substitute the vanilla for 1 to 2 drops of vanilla extract (check to make sure is as strong as you like it) add 1 drop of light green food coloring.
- ¾ Cup dark chopped chocolate
- ⅓ Cup cacao powder
- ¾ Cup hot coffee
- ¾ Cup flour
- ¾ Cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 Eggs
- In a bowl mix the chocolate and the cacao, add the hot coffee and continue mixing until everything is melted and well incorporated. Let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In another bowl mix the butter, eggs, and vanilla. Pour the chocolate mixture and continue mixing until the batter is shiny
- Slowly add the sugar, flour, and baking powder, mixing until everything is well incorporated and there are no lumps left
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cupcake liners and bake for 15/20 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven and from the pan and let them cool until they are no longer hot to the touch
- Whip up the frosting and decorate your cupcakes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply